What is a domain name?
By default, your organization's RallyUp account will use the URL go.rallyup.com for all of your campaigns and donation pages.
If you’d prefer, you can use a different URL by setting up a custom domain, like donate.myorganization.org or anything you'd like.
Does a custom domain cost me anything?
A custom domain can be added to your account for $99/year. This fee covers the yearly infrastructure costs needed to keep your custom domain up and running and secure.
How to set up a custom domain
Follow the below steps to set up your account with a custom domain:
1. Create a subdomain in RallyUp for your account
In settings > customize your branding, choose the second button titled, "I want to use my own domain (advanced setup)."
Then, enter a subdomain you'd like to use for your account (i.e. [myorganization].rallyup.com).
2. Register a custom domain name
NOTE: If you already own a domain name that you want to use for your RallyUp account, skip ahead to step 3.
Below is a list of popular services for checking the availability of and registering your new domain name. Any of these websites will guide you in the process of finding a domain name that’s open for use, then registering your domain when you’ve found a name that is available. Pick one you'd like to use, register your custom domain name with them, and then move to step 3 when you're done.
3. Add a CNAME Record
Once you have a registered domain, you’ll need to add a CNAME record to your domain’s DNS records. Here’s how:
- Go to the DNS record section of the portal through which you registered your custom domain in step 2 (i.e., GoDaddy, WordPress, etc.).
- Choose to add a new record to your DNS settings, and select CNAME as the record type.
- In the host field, enter a subdomain of your domain. For example, if the domain you registered back in step 2 is myorganization.com, you can enter donate.myorganization.com for host, where “donate” can be any word you choose (e.g. “support,” “give,” “go,” etc.).
- For the destination field, enter the RallyUp Subdomain you created in step 1 (i.e., donate.rallyup.com).
If you still need help, we’ve compiled a list of help articles on adding a CNAME record for popular domain hosting services. Click the one for the provider you used to registered your custom domain:
If your domain provider isn't listed above, just Google search "[Domain Provider Name] CNAME record" and you replace "[Domain Provider Name]" with the name of the company through which you registered your custom domain, like GoDaddy or Name.com.
4. Enter your new custom domain in RallyUp
Once your new custom domain name (CNAME) is created and registered, go back Settings > customize your branding.
Simply enter your new custom domain here, then click SAVE to verify it.
Make sure to scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit SAVE one more time.
5. Lastly, secure your custom domain with SSL
The final step of your custom domain setup is to secure the domain by installing an SSL Certificate. This ensures your custom domain will show up as secure on browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Without this last step, people who visit your pages will likely get a security error message which could prevent them from accessing your pages.
You'll need our help for this last step. Just contact us when you're ready by clicking the message icon in the bottom right of the screen or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll be happy to assist you in finishing this process. Once we have received your request, it can take up to 3 business days for the SSL certificate to be configured on your account.