Manually creating tax receipts for your donors can be time-consuming for organizations in Canada. You can save time by letting the system automatically generate and send your donors a tax receipt when they make an eligible tax-deductible donation on one of your fundraisers.
Automatic Canadian tax receipts are available to use for any organization in Canada. You can customize the receipts with your organization’s branding and information.
According to the Canadian Revenue Agency, tax receipts can only be sent for donations where the donor did not receive goods or services in exchange. Here are some examples of eligible and ineligible donations:
Examples of eligible donations:
- Donations on a crowdfunding campaign that don’t offer perks
- One-time or recurring donations on a donation page
- Per-unit and flat amount donations on an a-thon fundraiser
- Direct donations (without receiving goods or services in exchange) on other q types
Examples of ineligible donations:
- Raffle or sweepstakes entry purchases
- Item purchases on a sale fundraiser
- Bids on auction items
- Ticket purchases on an event campaign
The system will automatically detect the kind of donation the donor made on your fundraiser and send them a tax receipt accordingly.
How to set up Canada Tax Receipts
You must first enable this feature and complete a short set up to start using it. Here’s how you do it:
- Go to your “Organization Settings” (the gear icon in the left menu)
- Click Edit your organization profile
- Scroll down to the card labeled Canada Tax Receipts and check the box to enable it
- Add the information for your business registration number and receipt signature
- Click SAVE at the bottom of the page
After you complete these steps, the system will start sending Canadian tax receipts automatically for eligible donations (as defined above).
Viewing and resending tax receipts
You can view any donation’s tax receipt in your campaign management menu. You can also resend the donor their tax receipt via email from this same menu. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to your “Campaigns” (the megaphone icon in the left menu)
- Click on your campaign, then click “View Donations”*
- Hover over the donation and click the three-dot icon the right
- Click “View Tax Receipt” or “Resend Tax Receipt”
*Note that the terminology on these menus may be different according to the terminology that you’ve created for your campaign.
Good to know
- The Canadian Revenue Agency has specific requirements about what information needs to display about the donor and organization on the tax receipt, such as the donor’s address and middle initial. This information will be automatically collected in checkout from donors so that it can be used to generate tax receipts.
- The system will send donors their tax receipts by email. The email they receive looks like this: