Sometimes, campaign managers may notice a “failed” status associated with certain transactions for a-thon or auction fundraisers. Find out what could be causing failed transactions here.
Once you’ve finalized your a-thon or auction fundraiser, donors will automatically be charged via Stripe, our credit card processing partner. Sometimes, the charge is unable to be processed. In these cases, a “failed” status will be shown next to the transaction. This status is triggered by an error returned from the donor’s bank or card issuer.
Here are some of the most common reasons why a transaction may fail to process:
- Insufficient funds in the donor’s account balance
- The card has expired or become inactive at some point after the initial donation was made
- The card used has been flagged as fraudulent by Stripe
You can pinpoint the exact reason an error was returned from the card issuer or bank by following the steps below.
How to view failed payment details:
- Go to your campaigns in the left menu (the megaphone icon).
- Click the title of the campaign you're working on.
- Click on "view donations."*
- Find the payment in “failed” status. You can use the filters at the top of the “status” column to filter the table to display all “failed” status payments.
- In the three-dot menu on the right of each row, click "view failed reason."
The pop-up box you see here will indicate the failure reason that was returned to us by the card issuer or bank upon attempting to charge the donor’s card.
What you can do next:
Contact the donor to follow up on their failed payment. Depending on how your organization is setup to receive the funds, the donor can make their payment by cash, check or credit card.
- Direct Funding – Donor can pay by cash, check or credit card.To make the payment by credit card, an invoice can be sent from your direct funding account with a link for the donor to pay by credit card. Learn more on how to send an invoice from your direct funding account here.
- Deferred Funding – donor can pay by cash or check.There is not a way for the donor to pay by credit card when a campaign has ended when using deferred funding.
Here’s a quick guide on how to add cash or check donations to your campaign.
*Note that the terminology on these buttons may be different depending on your campaign settings