Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) in the UK can claim an extra 25p for every £1 their donors give when they opt-in to Gift Aid, a special UK tax program. It does not cost the organization any extra, and charities can claim Gift Aid on most donations.
If you’re a UK-based charity or Community Amateur Sports Club (CASCs), enabling Gift Aid will allow you to maximize your donations. This is a simple way to boost the donations you receive, with no extra effort on your part.
What Is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is a form of tax relief. Nonprofits can claim back the tax that their donors have paid on donations.
For every £1 that’s donated to your nonprofit, you can claim back 25p. This allows your nonprofit to boost eligible donations by 25%.
For a charity to claim Gift Aid on a donation, the donor must make a Gift Aid Declaration (GAD). The GAD confirms that the donor is a UK taxpayer and that Gift Aid may be claimed on their donation. (Please note that you must give a declaration to each charity you would like to donate to through Gift Aid.)
Here’s how to enable the Gift Aid Declaration on your campaign:
- Click on My Campaigns in the left menu.
- If you have chosen list view, click on the title of the campaign. If you have chosen grid view, click on the campaign image.
- Click Edit Campaign.*
- Click Advanced Options in the timeline at the top.
- Click Checkout Options.
- Scroll down until you see the box entitled Do you want to allow donors to Gift Aid their donations.
- Check the box Allow donors to optionally Gift Aid their donations.
- Customize the text or use the default text.
- Click SAVE at the bottom of the page.
Here’s how the box will appear for donors in the checkout process:
To access information about donors’ decisions to use or skip Gift Aid donations, follow the steps provided in the link below.